Maple Soufflé Québécois

Maple Souffle
I love a good a tradition.  I love that my husband and I celebrate our anniversary at the same restaurant each year, that we give each other the same number of presents at Christmas, that we eat specific food every spring when we open the Montauk house, and that my Christmas morning menu hasn't changed in decades.   I find comfort in repetition.  It gives me space to relax and enjoy.

One of the newer traditions in my life was  started by my Dad and it has quickly become a favorite.  Every time we see each other, we cook a new dish.  A dish he has researched, a dish he wants to share or try with me, a dish we will remember.  This past weekend, we made a Maple Soufflé from Quebec and his home town.  An oozy, sweet, pillowy soufflé chock-full of Canadian goodness with one full cup of maple syrup.

This new tradition lets us to sneak away and enjoy a few precious moments together, alone in the kitchen.  A great tradition indeed.


Maple Soufflé Québécois
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of Canadian maple syrup
  • 1.5 cups of milk
  • 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup of flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 4 eggs, separated 
  • Butter for casserole dish 
Directions 
  • In a double boiler on your stove top (make shift like ours below works just fine!), combine the maple syrup and milk heating until warm
  • Add the oil and flour, whisking constantly for 10 minutes
  • Beat the egg yolks and whisk them into the pot
  • Let the mixture cool while heating oven to 375
  • Meanwhile, beat the whites until stiff
  • Fold the whites into the maple pot and gently transfer all to a butter casserole dish
  • Place casserole dish in a large pan filled with hot water and bake for 50 minutes
  • Serve immediately
My Dad and our make-shift double boiler 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS