Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

40 Cloves of Garlic
An old roommate once told me she learned to love garlic living with me.  I frequently eat it raw when prepping, and double the amount in just about every recipe I follow try.  Surprisingly, I hadn't tried my hand at Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic until this week.  I suppose it just sounded daunting, 40 freaking cloves?

When the garlic from my winter CSA started piling into mini mountains in my cupboard, I knew it was time. I read a number of uninspiring recipes, like the ones that made a point to note you would not actually NEED all 40 cloves in their version. Isn't that just chicken with lot of garlic?  I am stickler for the rules!

I settled in on the trusted Smitten Kitchen's version which she calls "a cinch with a capital C." Get peeling, or heed her advice and buy peeled cloves.  Either way, you are in for a fragrant and juicy meal, that two of you and a baby can happily nosh from all week.

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
Smitten Kitten & New York Times

Ingredients
  • 1 3- to 4-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces or 3- to 4 pounds of chicken thighs at room temperature
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 40 large garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock 
Directions
  • Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper.  Place a deep skillet or dutch oven over high heat, add the oil and butter. When hot but not smoking, start browning the chicken skin side down. Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.  Flip pieces and brown on the other side for an additional 5 minutes, working in batches until all the chicken is cooked. 
  • Reduce heat to medium, and nestle the garlic cloves under the chicken in a single layer at the bottom of pan. Saute, shaking pan frequently, until garlic is lightly browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add wine and stock.
  • Cover and continue cooking 10 to 15 minutes more until the juices run clear when a thigh is pricked.  
  • Serve over rice or potatoes with plenty of pan juice.
Chicken with red potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS