Uncle Steve's Homemade Granola


My Uncle Steve makes the best granola.  I quite literally look forward to trips to the Michigan cottage so that I can enjoy a heaping bowl of it each morning. He had just roasted a big batch when I arrived this past summer and I carried a half gallon bag home on the plane.

After getting my sticky paws on the recipe, I decided to share it with you here since it is a cinch to whip up (mix, toss, roast!) and provides weeks of morning enjoyment.  I am even toying with the idea of bagging it up for holiday gifts this year at the office. Who wouldn't prefer homemade granola over a cheapey bottle of red wine? Okay, maybe that's the pregnant me writing.

But.... there is a big but. If I am honest, it is really is a stretch to call this recipe local. While I purchased the goods from freshdirect.com and the labels "say" bagged in New York, I clearly know coconuts don't grow on trees here in Westchester. The one local component is the honey. Delicious local honey procured at the farmer's market. So forgive me, dear reader, for bending the rules with this recipe.  Roast this granola yourself and I trust all will be forgiven.

Uncle Steve's Homemade Granola
Ingredients
  • 5 cups old fashioned oats (not instant)
  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut chips
  • 1 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup pumpkin seeds/pepitas
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/2 cup flax seeds
  • 1/2 cup chopped unsalted nuts of your choice (almonds, walnuts etc.)
  • 1/2 cup safflower oil
  • 3/4 - 1 cup of local honey 
Directions
  • Pre-heat the oven to 225 degrees
  • Mix all the dry ingredients together
  • Warm the oil and honey, and pour into the dry ingredients.  Mix well to coat
  • Bake for 2.5 - 3 hours, stirring well every half an hour 
  • Store in sealed containers and enjoy! 

The start
The dry ingredients
Local honey
The final product: delicious granola to enjoy with milk and fruit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS