The Perfect (Fr) Omelet


I remember the first time I had really good eggs. It was at my family summer cottage on Dorval Island near Montreal, and my Aunt Jane was at the stove.  This was before she and my uncle opened up their glorious bed and breakfast, and she had whipped up a batch of scrambled eggs for all the cousins. I undoubtedly ate and ran without stopping to share my delight in the eggs, but there was something in that scramble that made a life-long impression.

My love of eggs has blossomed since that first great scramble. A poached or fried egg adorn many meals these days: pasta, roasted veggies, sauted leeks, burgers. Breakfast for dinner is a favorite in the Hayduk (HeyLocke?) household. So much so that I've been trying to perfect my omelet for years. My first major leap was realizing how much better an omelet cooks over medium-low heat versus high or even medium high.  The next breakthrough was upgraded pans thanks to generous wedding gifts.  And recently, well recently, I hit the omelet jack pot when my obsession with tearing out and filing recipes really paid off.

I've made this "breakfast for dinner" omelet four times with my CSA eggs to make sure it really is "the" omelet recipe, ready for you dear readers. And it is. Oh, it is.

P.S. If any of you make this one, I'd love to hear your reviews in the comments section!

The Perfect Fromelet
Modified courtesy of Food & Wine's Omelet Souffle  

Ingredients 
1 serving
  • Three eggs
  • 1 pad of butter 
  • Your choice of components: Onion, Mushrooms, Broccoli, Cheese, Bacon, Tomatoes, etc.
  • Salt & Pepper
Directions
  • Start your oven broiler. 
  • Separate three large eggs. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with a pinch of salt.
  • In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until the top is frothy, about 1 minute by hand.  
    • Note: If you want to try to original "souffle" style of the recipe, whisk much longer until soft peaks form. I prefer Fromelet (frittata + omelet) style and whisk less.
  • Next whisk one-fourth of the egg whites into the yolks.
  • Fold in the remaining yolks until the two are combined and the colour is uniformed. 
  • In an 8-inch overproof nonstick or iron cast skillet, melt the butter over medium low heat.  Add the egg mixture, shaking to distribute evenly. 
  • Let cook for about 1 minute, then sprinkle the toppings evenly over the top.  
  • Transfer the entire pan to the oven and broil for 3-4 minutes before serving.  Holy yum!
Whisked Bright Egg Yolks
 Frothed Egg Whites
 The Final Fromelet: Roasted Tomato and Goat Cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS